Pohang-based steel manufacturing plant POSCO on Wednesday (18 September) said it has started mass production of a high quality alloy stainless steel named S31254 to specifically support local scrubber manufacturers.
“Currently, Hyundai Power Systems, Kangrim Heavy Industries & Kangrim Insulation and STI Co. Ltd. are trying to dominate the market,” it notes.
“Earlier last year, the landscape for scrubber production was quite different – only a handful of overseas companies were producing a limited amount of steels for scrubber production.
“With no domestic companies providing base materials for the scrubber, Korean companies faced major challenges to meet the increasing demands – high material costs and over eight-month-long production period.”
POSCO, forecasted demand of steel for manufacturing scrubbers to increase by about 130,000 metric tonnes (mt) for the next five years from 2019; however, the annual global supply of the material was under 10,000 mt.
Europe currently dominates 60% of the scrubber market while the remaining 40% demand has been met by manufacturers based in Korea and East Asia, it notes.
Now that POSCO has succeeded in mass-producing the S31254, it plans to target some of the big manufacturers abroad.
“Due to the tighter environmental regulations, the high-alloy stainless steel market is rapidly changing,” said Young-Hwan Kim, a researcher at the POSCO Technical Research Laboratories.
“The collaborative effort of multiple departments – production, sales, and research – helped create a new market.
“Supplying steel materials to customers who previously had difficulty in obtaining the material was most rewarding. Furthermore, we would like to grow to become the top player for high alloy steel in the global market.”
Photo credit: POSCO
Published: 20 September, 2019
‘We are here to transfer the extremely valuable knowledge gained over the past six years to the maritime sector, such that our customers are comfortable in the use of such biofuels,’ states CEO Olivier Baiwir.
Newly appointed Anthony Mollet speaks to Manifold Times about his role, vision, value proposition and plans for the Marine Fuels Alliance to become a wide-reaching and engaging bunkering industry association.
SFP will be retrofitting VPT’s existing bunker vessel with its Full Electric Ready (FER) system and seeks to commission the vessel in the second quarter of 2022, CEO of SFP George Lee tells Manifold Times.
Equatorial Marine Fuel Management Services, Oldendorff Carriers, Lloyd’s Register and organisers took part in a Bunker Quality Claims Webinar moderated by Manifold Times on 10 November.
‘Though it did introduce temporary commercial and operational disruptions, we took a constructive view of the situation and chose to use this event as a learning opportunity,’ shares a Consort Bunkers spokesperson.
Gealubes Consulting & Trading, the authorised marine business distributor of PANOLIN EALs at Singapore port, shares a two-part education series on Environmentally Acceptable Lubricants on Manifold Times.
30 Nov 2021