The CEOs of over a 100 shipping firms have agreed on a plan to implement speed limits for vessels to reduce greenhouse gases (GHGs) from the maritime sector.
“Our preference would be to set maximum annual average speeds for container ships, and maximum absolute speeds for the remaining ship types, which take account of minimum speed requirements,” they said in a joint statement.
“Such a regulation should be implemented as soon as possible and the obligation for compliance should be placed both on shipowners and operators, including charterers.”
Member states of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) in April 2018 agreed on an Initial GHG Strategy for international shipping by calling for shipping’s carbon intensity to be reduced by at least 40% by 2030 and for total emissions to be cut by at least 50% by 2050 compared to 2008, while aiming for full decarbonisation.
To do so, new operational measures will need to be implemented for both the existing fleet and new ships and immediate reductions achieved by 2023.
According to the joint statement, recent history shows reducing the global fleet’s operational speed after the 2008 economic crash led to dramatic reductions in GHG emissions.
“This speaks to the real-world effectiveness of a potential prescriptive speed measure in helping achieve reduction targets,” said the CEOs.
“We call on all Parties at the forthcoming MEPC74 to support this move.”
Signatories supporting the movement are below:
1. 2020 BULKERS LTD, OSLO NORWAY
2. ACTIVE SHIPPING, TURKEY
3. A.M.NOMIKOS TRANSWORLD MARITIME AGENCIES S.A.
4. A.O.SCHIFFFAHRT MBH
5. ACCESS SHIPPING LTD
6. AHRENKIEL STEAMSHIP GMBH, HAMBURG
7. AIMS SHIPPING CORPORATION
8. ALASSIA NEWSHIPS MANAGEMENT INC.
9. ALEXANDER OETKER SCHIFFAHRT, HAMBURG
10. ALMI MARINE MANAGEMENT S.A.
11. ALMI TANKERS S.A.
12. ANBROS MARITIME S.A.
13. ANDRIAKI SHIPPING Co. LTD
14. APOLLONIA LINES S.A.
15. ARKLOW SHIPPING LIMITED
16. ARMINTER S.A.M, MONACO
17. ASIATIC LLOYD SHIIPING PTE LTD, SINGAPORE
18. ASTRA SHIPMANAGEMENT INC.
19. ATLANTIC LLOYD GMBH, HAMBURG
20. AWILCO LNG,
21. BESIKTAS SHIPPING GROUP, TURKEY
22. BOREALIS MARITIME, LONDON, HAMBURG, ISTANBUL
23. BRAVE MARITIME CORPORATION INC.
24. BYZANTINE MARITIME CORPORATION
25. C TRANSPORT MARITIME S.A.M. MONACO
26. CENTROFIN MANAGEMENT INC.
27. CHARTWORLD SHIPPING CORPORATION
28. CMK EUROFINANCE
29. COMMON PROGRESS S.A.
30. CONTSHIPS MANAGEMENT INC.
31. CYPRUS SEA LINES CO. LTD
32. DALEX SHIPPING CO. S.A.
33. DELTA TANKERS LTD
34. DIANA SHIPPING SERVICES LTD
35. DIANA WILHELMSEN MANAGEMENT LIMITED (DWM)
36. DYNACOM TANKERS MANAGEMENT LTD
37. DYNAGAS LTD
38. EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN MARITIME LTD
39. EFNAV COMPANY LTD
40. ELEMENT SHIPMANAGEMENT S.A.
41. EMPIRE BULKERS LTD
42. EMPROS LINES SHIPPING CO.
43. ENTERPRISES SHIPPING & TRADING S.A.
44. EURONAV SHIP MANAGEMENT LTD
45. EUROTANKERS INC.
46. F. LAEISZ GROUP, HAMBURG
47. GLOBAL CARRIERS LTD
48. GOLDEN ENERGY MANAGEMENT S.A.
49. GOLDENPORT MARINE SERVICES INC./ GOLDENPORT SHIPMANAGEMENT LTD
50. GOODBULK LTD, MONACO
51. GRECOMAR SHIPPING AGENCY LTD
52. HALKIDON SHIPPING CORPORATION
53. HELLENIC TANKERS CO. LTD
54. HUNTER GROUP ASA
55. HYDROUSSA NAVIGATION LTD
56. INTERUNITY MANAGEMENT CORPORATION
57. INTERUNITY MANAGEMENT SA GMBH, GERMANY
58. IOLCOS HELLENIC MARITIME ENTERPRISES CO. LTD
59. IONIA MANAGEMENT S.A.
60. IONIC SHIPPING (MGT) INC.
61. KYKLADES MARITIME CORPORATION
62. LASKARIDIS SHIPPING CO. LTD
63. LATSCO MARINE MANAGEMENT INC.
64. LMZ SHIPPING S.A.
65. LOAD LINE MARINE S.A.
66. LOUIS DREYFUS ARMATEURS, FRANCE
67. MARINE TRUST LTD
68. MARLA DRY BULK SHIPMANAGEMENT INC.
69. MARLA TANKERS SHIPMANAGEMENT INC.
70. MARMARAS NAVIGATION LTD
71. NAFTOMAR SHIPPING & TRADING CO. LTD
72. NAVIOS MARITIME HOLDINGS INC.
73. NEPHELE NAVIGATION COMPANY LIMITED
74. NEW SHIPPING LIMITED
75. NORDIC HAMBURG SHIPMANAGEMENT GMBH & CO.KG, HAMBURG
76. OCEANBULK MARITIME S.A.
77. OCEANGOLD TANKERS INC.
78. OLYMPIA OCEAN CARRIERS LTD
79. OMICRON SHIP MANAGEMENT INC.
80. ORION REEDEREI GMBH & CO. KG, HAMBURG
81. ÖSTERREICHISCHER LLOYD SEEREEDEREI (CYPRUS) LTD
82. OVERSEAS MARINE ENTERPRISES INC.
83. PAVIMAR S.A.
84. PETROCHEM GENERAL MANAGEMENT S.A.
85. PETER DOHLE SCHIFFAHRTS KG, HAMBURG
86. PLEIADES SHIPPING AGENTS S.A.
87. POLYAR SHIPPING
88. PRIME MARITIME INC
89. PRODUCT SHIPPING & TRADING S.A.
90. PROMINENCE MARITIME S.A.
91. REEDEREI NORD GMBH, HAMBURG, CYPRUS, AMSTERDAM
92. RIVAMAR SRL
93. ROSWELL TANKERS CORPORATION
94. ROXANA SHIPPING S.A.
95. SAFE BULKERS MANAGEMENT LTD
96. SAFESHIP MANAGEMENT INC.
97. SAFETY MANAGEMENT OVERSEAS S.A.
98. SEA TRADE HOLDINGS, STAMFORD, U.S.A
99. SEA TRADERS S.A.
100. SEASTAR MARITIME MANAGEMENT S.A.
101. STAR BULK CARRIERS CORP.
102. STEALTH MARITIME CORPORATION S.A.
103. STEALTHGAS INC.
104. SUN ENTERPRISES LTD
105. TARGET MARINE S.A.
106. TERRA NAVIS SHIPPING LTD
107. TRANSMED SHIPPING LTD
108. TSAKOS SHIPPING AND TRADING S.A.
109. TSAVLIRIS RUSS (INTERNATIONAL) LTD
110. UNIVERSAL SHIPPING ALLIANCE LTD
111. VARCO S.A.
112. VEGA REEDEREI GMBH & CO. KG, HAMBURG
113. WORLD TANKERS MANAGEMENT
1. Clean Shipping Coalition (CSC)
3. European Federation for Transport and Environment (T&E)
4. Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA)
5. Greenpeace International
6. Pacific Environment (PE)
7. Seas at Risk
8. Stichting De Noordzee (North Sea Foundation)
9. World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
Published: 2 May, 2019
The Covid-19 pandemic in India, where the group’s assets of between USD 45 to 60 million, accounting, and reporting capabilities are located have affected expected pace of restructuring ops, explains legal team.
Significant uptick in the number of quality claims being alleged by ship owners has also been seen since the implementation of contactless bunkering operations, notes Partner at Rajah & Tann.
‘The launch of our company website signifies the readiness of Singfar to engage with relevant stakeholders to achieve our mission of enabling sustainable trade,’ Managing Director tells Manifold Times.
Associate Director at Helmsman highlights the need to stay up-to-date with latest protocols / measures introduced by MPA, with continuous education of Master and crew of the visiting vessel.
BunkerPlanner Lite is an attempt to educate professionals engaged in bunker decisions about the use of advanced technology in the decision process, explains BunkerMetric CEO Christian Plum.
Senior Associate at Clyde & Co offers guidance to protect shipowners and bunker tanker operators in the event opposing counterparty breaches Covid-19 protocols, resulting in Covid-19 transmission.