Connect with us
DNV Decarbonization Insight Series August 2026 - What maritime professionals should know about AI Training

Business

Malaysia: MMEA detains fishing vessel with 8,000 litres of diesel in modified additional tank

Vessel was found to have been modified with an additional fuel tank, which is believed to be an attempt to illegally smuggle diesel into a neighbouring country.

Admin

Published

on

316553853 516033640550366 7643722041036766760 n

The Kuala Perlis Zone Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) on Tuesday (6 December) said it detained a Class C fishing boat around 8.13 on 5 December in the waters of Kuala Peralis, Perlis.

The C-class fishing boat was detained at about 1.2 nautical miles from the west of the Kuala Perlis estuary, Perlis when MMEA patrol boat was on Op Aman patrol.

According to the Director of the Kuala Perlis Maritime Zone, Maritime Commander Mohd Hashim bin Mat Zain, the boat was found to have been modified with an additional fuel tank, which is believed to be an attempt to illegally smuggle diesel into a neighbouring country. 

168

The estimated value of confiscated diesel fuel is as much as 8,000 litres with a value of RM16,000. The overall value of the confiscated goods includes a boat, engine, and diesel fuel around RM216,000.

He said the arrests are the result of intelligence information and monitoring carried out by the Kuala Perlis zone Risk Unit (ZMKP).

At the time of inspection, the boat involved was operated by three Malaysians aged between 22 and 38 years.

The case will be investigated under the Fisheries Act 1985 for modifying additional oil tanks without permission and violating the requirements of the boat’s licence and the Control of Supplies Act 1961 for attempting to smuggle out subsidised diesel fuel.

The boat and the trio were brought into the Kuala Perlis Maritime Zone jetty and handed over to investigating officers for further action.

316553853 516033640550366 7643722041036766760 n

 

Photo credit: Malaysia Maritime Enforcement Agency
Published: 7 December, 2022

Continue Reading

Bunker Fuel

Singapore: Bunker fuel sales down by 3.8% on year in July 2026

4.73 million mt of various marine fuel grades were delivered at the world’s largest bunkering port in July, up from 4.92 million mt recorded during the similar month in 2025.

Admin

Published

on

By

Singapore: Bunker fuel sales down by 3.8% on year in July 2026

Sales of marine fuel at Singapore port fell by 3.8% on year in July 2026, according to data from the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA).

In total, 4.73 million metric tonnes (mt) (exact 4,731,900 mt) of various marine fuel grades were delivered at the world’s largest bunkering port in July, up from 4.92 million mt (4,918,000 mt) recorded during the similar month in 2025.

Deliveries of marine fuel oil, low sulphur fuel oil, ultra low sulphur fuel oil, marine gas oil and marine diesel oil in July (against on year) recorded respectively 1.95 million mt (zero from 1.95 million mt), 2.33 million mt (-2.1% from 2.38 million mt), 1,600 mt (+100% from zero), 700 mt (-82% from 3,900 mt) and zero (from zero).

Singapore: Bunker fuel sales down by 3.8% on year in July 2026

Bio-blended variants of marine fuel oil, low sulphur fuel oil, ultra low sulphur fuel oil, marine gas oil and marine diesel oil in July, (against on year) recorded respectively 8,200 mt (-83.7% from 50,300 mt), 29,900 mt (-62.9% from 80,500 mt), zero (from zero), zero (from zero) and zero (from zero). B100 biofuel bunkers, introduced in February last year, recorded 1,400 mt (-46.2% from 2,600 mt). 

LNG and methanol sales were 58,700 mt (+41.4% from 41,500 mt) and zero (from zero) respectively. There were no recorded sales of ammonia for the month and so far since 2025.

 

Photo credit: Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore
Published: 17 August, 2026

Continue Reading

Alternative Fuels

Ammonia, methanol bunkering workshops to be held at 13th Singapore Safety@Sea Week

Three workshops on ammonia bunkering, methanol bunkering, and crew safety awareness are part of MPA’s Safety@Sea Week, which will be held from 17 to 21 August.

Admin

Published

on

By

Singapore

The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), together with industry partners, on Monday (17 August) launched several new initiatives to enhance maritime safety. 

Announced at the opening of the 13th Singapore Safety@Sea Week, these initiatives will support shared learning, strengthen operational capabilities, and prepare the industry for the safe adoption of new technologies.

Organised by MPA from 17 to 21 August, this year’s Safety@Sea Week is themed “All Hands on Deck – Safety First!”. About 1,500 participants from across the maritime community are expected to take part in 18 events organised by MPA and its partners. 

These include the Safety@Sea Symposium, featuring seven speakers across two panel sessions, and three workshops on ammonia bunkering, methanol bunkering, and crew safety awareness. 

Speaking at the opening, Mr Murali Pillai, Senior Minister of State for Law and Transport, highlighted three priorities for strengthening maritime safety: harnessing technology responsibly, preparing early for emerging risks, and keeping people at the centre of safety. He also underscored the importance of strong partnerships across the maritime community in building a strong safety culture.

At the opening of Safety@Sea Week, the National Maritime Safety at Sea Council and the Singapore Shipping Association launched the Singapore Near Miss Reporting System to encourage the reporting and sharing of lessons from near miss incidents.

Modelled on the internationally recognised Confidential Human Factors Incident Reporting Programme (CHIRP), the system provides sea space users with a confidential online channel to report near misses. CHIRP will independently receive the submissions and provide anonymised information to the Council, which will distil key safety lessons for sharing with the wider maritime community.

Note: More information about the event can be found here

 

Photo credit: Peter Nguyen on Unsplash
Published: 17 August, 2026

Continue Reading

Bunker Fuel

Alkagesta highlights key insights on European choke point pressures in August

Update covers dual supply crisis currently shaping global bunker markets — a stalled Strait of Hormuz peace process and Rhine water levels at a 140-year record low — and the implications for Singapore.

Admin

Published

on

By

Alkagesta

Malta-based global commodity trading house Alkagesta recently shared latest market insight examining the dual supply crisis gripping global energy markets as diplomatic efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz stall and Rhine water levels fall to record lows, creating what the company describes as a “state of emergency” for European inland fuel distribution.

In an article published on Alkagesta Market Insights on 11 August, the company’s trading and market intelligence teams outlined how the convergence of two simultaneous logistical crises is tightening prompt fuel availability across Singapore, Northwest Europe, and the Mediterranean:

Strait of Hormuz transits fell to a near-one-month low of 13 ships on August 9 following an attack on an ADNOC-linked tanker, as both the US and Iran demand war reparations before any reopening agreement can be reached. Simultaneously, Rhine water levels at the Kaub chokepoint fell to 16 cm on August 10 — the lowest since records began in 1880 — with forecasts pointing to a further drop to just 4 cm by August 14, effectively halting barge traffic and trapping fuel oil stocks at the ARA hub.

The supply picture across both key hubs has deteriorated sharply. In Singapore, Middle Eastern fuel oil imports nearly tripled week-over-week to 328,878 mt by July 29 — the highest volume since March — providing some relief as onshore commercial heavy distillate stocks rose to a five-week high of 19.58 million barrels by August 5. However, July bunker fuel sales are estimated to have fallen 3.7% month-over-month to 4.44 million mt, with elevated premiums redirecting prompt demand toward alternative ports including Zhoushan and Port Klang.

In Europe, the VLSFO market remains acutely undersupplied as refiners continue to prioritize high-margin diesel over low-sulfur blending components, while the Rhine crisis has forced barges to operate at just 15–20% of normal capacity — with freight rates from Rotterdam to Karlsruhe rising more than 400% in two months.

Alkagesta’s strategic outlook points to a potential total breakdown in Rhine-linked inland distribution by mid-August, a VLSFO Hi-5 spread likely to remain above $200/mt through Q3, and a global crude market that analysts warn requires an additional 2.1 million b/d for 18 months to rebuild depleted inventories.

Note: The full article can be read here.

 

Photo credit: Alkagesta
Published: 17 August, 2026

Continue Reading

Trending