Connect with us
DNV Decarbonization Insight Series August 2026 - What maritime professionals should know about AI Training

Business

Vessel operator New Trade and Chief Engineer convicted for oily bilge water discharge offense

Under the terms of the plea agreement and subject to court approval, New Trade will pay a total fine of USD 1,100,000 and serve a four-year term of probation.

Admin

Published

on

55

New Trade Ship Management S.A. (New Trade), a vessel operating company, and vessel Chief Engineer Dennis Plasabas pleaded guilty on Tuesday (9 August) in San Diego, California, for maintaining false and incomplete records relating to the discharge of oily bilge water from the bulk carrier vessel Longshore, said the U.S. Department of Justice.

New Trade and Plasabas each pleaded guilty to a felony violation of the Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships for failing to accurately maintain the Longshore’s oil record book. Under the terms of the plea agreement and subject to court approval, New Trade will pay a total fine of USD 1,100,000 and serve a four-year term of probation, during which any vessels operated by the company and calling on U.S. ports will be required to implement a robust Environmental Compliance Plan. Sentencing for the defendants is currently set for Nov. 18.

New Trade and Plasabas admitted that oily bilge water was illegally dumped from the Longshore directly into the ocean without being properly processed through required pollution prevention equipment. Oily bilge water typically contains oil contamination from the operation and cleaning of machinery on the vessel. 

The defendants also admitted that these illegal discharges were not recorded in the vessel’s oil record book as required by law. 

Specifically, on two separate occasions between October and December 2021, Chief Engineer Plasabas, who was employed by New Trade, ordered lower-ranking crew members to use a portable pneumatic pump and hose to bypass pollution prevention equipment by transferring oily bilge water from the vessel’s bilge holding tank to the vessel’s sewage tank, from where it was discharged directly into the ocean.

Plasabas then failed to record these improper transfers and overboard discharges in the vessel’s oil record book. Additionally, in order to create a false and misleading electronic record as if the pollution prevention equipment had been properly used, Plasabas directed lower-ranking crew members to pump clean sea water into the vessel’s bilge holding tank in the same quantity as the amount of oily bilge water that he had ordered transferred to the sewage tank. Plasabas then processed the clean sea water through the vessel’s pollution prevention equipment as if it was oily bilge water in order to make it appear that the pollution prevention equipment was being properly used when in fact it was not. The electronic records indicate that approximately 9,600 gallons of clean sea water were run through the pollution prevention equipment.  

“This case demonstrates our commitment to investigating and prosecuting environmental crimes occurring at sea, no matter how wrongdoers may try to cover them up,” said Assistant Attorney General Todd Kim of the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division. “The Department of Justice will continue to work with our partner agencies to ensure polluters are held fully accountable.”   

“We are committed to protecting our environment from people who cause immeasurable harm with short cuts,” said U.S. Attorney Randy Grossman for the Southern District of California. 

“This was a very calculated plan to violate the rules, and today the offenders are being held to account.” 

“This prosecution highlights the U.S Attorney’s Office and the U.S. Coast Guard’s dedication in safeguarding our oceans against those that seek to deliberately harm our natural resources,” said Captain James W. Spitler, Sector Commander of the Coast Guard Sector San Diego. 

“Illegal dumping of oil and falsification of oil record books are egregious violations. Today’s guilty plea should serve as a reminder that the Coast Guard and our partners at the Department of Justice will work tirelessly to hold accountable those that seek to deliberately discharge oil and falsify ship records.”

 

Photo credit: Marine Traffic / Bernard Delmont
Published: 11 August, 2022

Continue Reading

LNG Bunkering

Singapore: Eastern Pacific Shipping hits 700 LNG bunkering milestone

Since commencing LNG bunkering operations in November 2020, the company said it has completed a total LNG bunkering volume of 2,920,191 cubic metres.

Admin

Published

on

By

Singapore: Eastern Pacific Shipping hits 700 LNG bunkering milestone

Singapore-based shipping firm Eastern Pacific Shipping (EPS) on Monday (17 August) said the company has successfully completed its 700th LNG bunkering operation, carried out for vehicle carrier Lake Victoria in Emden, Germany.

Since commencing LNG bunkering operations in November 2020, the company said it has completed a total LNG bunkering volume of 2,920,191 cubic metres (m3).

“Reaching 700 LNG bunkering operations reflects not only the scale of our investment in alternative-fuel capabilities, but also the experience, coordination and commitment of our teams at sea and ashore,” EPS said in a social media post. 

“As we continue to grow and diversify our fleet, every operation adds to the practical experience needed to support shipping’s energy transition.”

Manifold Times previously reported the company completed a total of 530 LNG bunkering operations with over 2.4 million m3 of LNG bunkered, from the start of recorded data to 31 Dec 2025. 

In its 2026 ESG Report, EPS said its fleet is among the largest dual-fuel fleets in the industry, with over 170 vessels designed to operate on alternative fuels.

In 2025, 25% of the fuel consumed by EPS fleet were alternative marine fuels, including LNG, LPG, ethane, and biofuels.

Related: 2026 ESG Report: Singapore-based EPS completes 530 LNG bunkering operations

 

Photo credit: Eastern Pacific Shipping
Published: 18 August, 2026

Continue Reading

LNG Bunkering

Yang Ming dual-fuel vessel completes first SIMOPS LNG bunkering operation in Shanghai

“YM Willpower” successfully received around 2,000 mt of LNG alongside active cargo handling, significantly enhancing operational efficiency during the port call.

Admin

Published

on

By

Yang Ming dual-fuel vessel completes first SIMOPS LNG bunkering operation in Shanghai

Taiwanese shipping firm Yang Ming Marine Transport Corporation (Yang Ming) on Monday (17 August) said its 15,500 TEU LNG dual-fuel vessel, YM Willpower, successfully completed its first-ever LNG bunkering operation via SIMOPS (Simultaneous Operations) at the Port of Shanghai.

Through close collaboration with Shanghai International Port (Group) and SIPG Energy Shanghai, the vessel successfully received around 2,000 metric tonnes (mt) of LNG alongside active cargo handling, significantly enhancing operational efficiency during the port call.  

With LNG dual-fuel technology, the company said it is continuing to expand alternative-fuel bunkering capabilities, enhance operational flexibility and efficiency and advance lower-carbon shipping solutions.  

Manifold Times previously reported YM Willpower completing its first bunkering operation in Singapore.

In 2026, Yang Ming will progressively introduce newly built 15,500 TEU class container vessels primarily fueled by liquefied natural gas (LNG) into its operating fleet. 

The lead vessel, YM Willpower, completed partial LNG bunkering at the shipyard prior to delivery and was officially deployed on 8 February into Yang Ming’s Far East–Mediterranean MD2 service. 

Related: Yang Ming’s new boxship completes first LNG bunkering operation in Singapore

 

Photo credit: Yang Ming Marine Transport Corporation
Published: 18 August, 2026

Continue Reading

Methanol

Fratelli Cosulich launches methanol-ready bunker tanker in China

Designed with MarineLINE-coated cargo tanks and methanol readiness from the outset, “Carlotta Cosulich” combines operational flexibility with future-fuel readiness.

Admin

Published

on

By

Fratelli Cosulich launches methanol-ready bunker tanker in China

Genoa-based marine fuel supplier Fratelli Cosulich on Monday (17 August) announced the launch of its new methanol-ready bunker IMO II tanker, Carlotta Cosulich.

The launch of Carlotta Cosulich, the third of four sister vessels, took place at Taizhou Maple Leaf Shipyard in China, bringing together the project team, partners and stakeholders.

Silvia Bordon, General Manager, served as the vessel’s godmother during the ceremony.

“Designed with MarineLINE-coated cargo tanks and methanol readiness from the outset, Carlotta Cosulich combines operational flexibility with future-fuel readiness,” the company said in a statement. 

Equipped with a five-tonne cargo crane and dedicated arrangements for Single Point Mooring (SPM) operations further enhances her versatility across a wider range of bunkering operations.

“Following the successful delivery of her two sister vessels, she brings us one step closer to completing this four-vessel programme and reinforces Fratelli Cosulich Group’s commitment to safety, innovation, sustainability and operational excellence,” the company added.

 

Photo credit: Fratelli Cosulich
Published: 18 August, 2026

Continue Reading

Trending