U.S. OFAC adds four shipping firms, nine oil tankers to sanctions list
The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) on Friday (12 April) added four companies that operate in the oil sector of the Venezuelan economy to its sanctions list due to business connections with Venezuela.
Additionally, OFAC identified nine vessels, some of which transported oil from Venezuela to Cuba, as blocked property owned by the four companies.
The shipping firms and oil tankers are as follows:
- Jennifer Navigation Limited is based in Monrovia, Liberia, and is the registered owner of Nedas.
- Nedas is a crude oil tanker (IMO: 9289166) that delivered crude oil from Venezuela to Cuba during January and March of 2019.
- Lima Shipping Corporation is based in Monrovia, Liberia, and is the registered owner of New Hellas.
- New Hellas is a crude oil tanker (IMO: 9221891) that delivered crude oil from Venezuela to Cuba during February and March 2019.
- Large Range Limited is based in Monrovia, Liberia, and is the registered owner of
- S-Trotter is an oil products tanker (IMO: 9216547) that delivered oil products from Venezuela to Cuba during February and March 2019.
- PB Tankers S.P.A. is based in Italy, and is the registered owner of several vessels, including Silver Point, Alba Marina, Gold Point, Ice Point, Indian Point, and Iron Point.
- Silver Point is a chemical and oil tanker (IMO: 9510462) that delivered oil products from Venezuela to Cuba during March 2019.
- Alba Marina is a floating storage tanker (IMO: 9151838).
- Gold Point is a chemical and oil tanker (IMO: 9506693).
- Ice Point is a chemical and oil tanker (IMO: 9379337).
- Indian Point is a chemical and oil tanker (IMO: 9379325).
- Iron Point is a chemical and oil tanker (IMO: 9388209).
“We continue to target companies that transport Venezuelan oil to Cuba, as they are profiting while the Maduro regime pillages natural resources,” said Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin.
“Venezuela’s oil belongs to the Venezuelan people, and should not be used as a bargaining tool to prop up dictators and prolong oppression.
“Maduro relies on the support he receives from the Cuban military and intelligence services to retain his hold on power because he does not have the support of the Venezuelan people.”
Earlier OFAC related alerts issued in 2019 are as follows:
Related: OFAC identifies 35 vessels, two shipping firms for sanctioned activity
Related: OFAC adds Singapore-registered “Sea Tanker II” to sanctions list
Related: OFAC updates guidance on North Korea maritime sanctions
Related: Alert: Viet Trust Shipping Corporation “Viet Tin 01” spotted at DPRK port
Related: PrimPortBunker in alleged STS fuel transfer ops to DPRK vessels
Photo credit: MarineTraffic / Ria Maat
Published: 15 April, 2019
Metcore: Understand TR48 on the use of MFM
Taking a homogeneous approach on MFM systems places both the buyer and the supplier under risk without proper insurance.
BW supports the global implementation of mass flow meters
BW is proud to support the global implementation of mass flow meters for a more efficient, precise, and transparent bunkering process.